I’m sure I don’t only speak for myself when I say that I have a deep rooted feeling and desire to “do it all”. Whether or not its possible, at what cost, or where this ridiculous expectation came from – this feeling is in me to a certain degree (add doing it in heels for extra points). With 3 young kids I had to start redefining my priorities and schedule to pursue what matters most.
In an effort to find and create more time in my life I started to go through all of our commitments, what I needed to put on the back burner (um, a thousand business ideas), where I needed to ask for help and what opportunities existed to create more time and space. The reality is, if you want more time you are going to have to create it and that is going to mean letting go of a lot of things that don’t rank high on your priority meter (gasp!).
Here are a list of the things I do to create more time in each day, and therefore – my life:
- Get Up. Set your alarm and get up – it’s just that simple. No snooze button, no saying to yourself “but I’m tired”. You’ll feel tired for all of 3 seconds until you settle into that coffee, hot shower or sweaty workout. You’ll never regret getting up for a jump start on the day.
- Stay Focused. After you get up don’t get sucked into the news, email, Instagram, FB, whatever. Remember your priorities and focus on them. As soon as you tune into any of these things you immediately shift your energy and power over to it. Seriously, when was the last time you “just checked” FB and didn’t end up on some random profile of someone you don’t even know?
- Deal. Once you do settle into your email, voicemail – whatever mail that so desperately requires your attention – deal with it. File it, respond to it, delete it – just deal with it, because if you don’t you are going to be circling back wasting more time by starting your delayed response with “sorry for not getting back to you until now” (sound familiar?).
- Make Decisions. Think about the last decision that you made and how much time you spent going back and forth weighing the pros and cons. It is a fact that we waste so much time and energy thinking about what decision we are going to make instead of listening to our intuition. The answer already lies within you. Make the decision and move forward so you can free up your energy and channel it into it.
- Say No. Like – a lot. And if you are not the kind of person who is good at saying “no” right away then come up with what your pre-recorded answer is going to be. Example: “thanks for the invite, I am going to have to check our schedule and get back to you” – do you see how easy that was? I say NO all of the time. It means that we have space in our schedule to decide what we want to do with our time and to fill it with opportunities that arise. The message is pretty simple – don’t do things that you don’t want to do or align with who you want to be.
- Maximize Waiting Time. Picking kids up from something, doctors office, whatever – I always have my Agenda (with outlined priorities), notebook, computer and books with me at all times. You never know when that small window of opportunity is going to open up. When you don’t have complete control of your schedule at least fill time delays with things you otherwise would want to be getting done.
- Car pool. I know, this is a big one, because any mom knows that being a good mom means that you need to spread yourself thin by being in 5 different places at once 😉 . Trust me, my kids are more excited when they get to hop in someone else’s car with their friends. If you can make it happen – car pool, whenever the opportunity presents itself.
- Let It Go. Did you know that the body holds onto things from a physiological standpoint for 90 seconds. So if there is a conversation that made you mad or a comment that upset you – YOU are the reason you are still holding onto it. The body takes it in, makes sense of it and lets it go in 90-seconds. So anytime you catch yourself hitting the repeat button that is on you my friend. Let whatever it is LET IT GO and move on.
- Write It Down. Write whatever is going on in your mind down on paper. On a T0-Do List or in a Journal. It is noted that we have between 50,000-70,000 thoughts per day play out in our mind, this means between 35 and 48 thoughts per minute per person. Crazy right? Is there any wonder you forgot it was “crazy hair day”. Make note and write down your priorities where it makes sense for you.
- Schedule. Obviously you need to leave a little bit of space in your schedule for opportunities and experiences to arise, but for the most part you need to schedule what you want and need to get done. That includes making time for yourself – whether that be in the form of a workout, hair appointment, girls night out – schedule it in. If you don’t I can almost guarantee that something else will fill that time slot.
- Communicate. This kind of goes hand in hand with “scheduling”. Every week my Husband and I sit down and go through everything on the schedule for the week ahead. From kids’ programs, activities, meetings, appointments, work, etc. It almost becomes a puzzle trying to piece it all together, but by doing this we are both able to maximize our time by fitting things in where and when we can without either one of us feeling like we don’t have “time”. Note: despite this planning session we also do a quick check in every morning to ensure nothing has changed (i.e. him verifying what we talked about).
- Ask For Help. You are not superhuman. I could not get through my week or most days without some help here and there. Find your people – friends, family, whoever that are able and willing to step in and help you out. Trust me, they could probably use it too and you will both be better off for it. Since when did we stop believing in “it takes a village”. Unless you like wearing a cape, throw it on Superwoman 😉
If you want to find more time you need to start creating it. To do this you need to start pursuing what matters most instead of pursuing it all. When you pursue what matters most you will find more passion, integrity, happiness and enjoyment out of whatever it is that you are experiencing. But here’s the deal – you have to make an agreement with yourself that you are going to pursue what matters most to YOU – not anyone else, and also let go of any judgement towards others who might have different priorities than you – deal?
In the spirit of finding more time I have partnered with Jord Wood Watches who believe that the value of a watch is not in being able to tell how much time has passed, but in being aware of the need to make that time count. Moments are bigger than minutes and your watch should tell more than time. The artists behind these brilliant designs are focused on creating timepieces that are modelled after a modern lifestyle. These pieces are made for people who don’t just have somewhere to be, they have somewhere to go.
When I was first asked to Partner with Jord Wood Watches, I didn’t immediately respond. As a creature of habit who wears her one watch religiously I was a bit skeptical if there was anything out there that would sway me out of my daily (and somewhat rigid) comfort zone. Like any curious shopper I immediately hopped online and started browsing through the women’s watch collection. It was during this time that I will shamefully admit that I was taken by the Zebrawood and Champagne one by name alone. But beyond the name is a simple yet stylish design rooted in earthy golden tones that allows it to become your go-to accessory. Stylishly sophisticated with champagne in the name. Clearly it was meant to be 😉
I am so excited and honoured to partner with Jord Wood Watches to giveaway a $75 e-code towards your favourite watch! Click here to enter the contest – and as a bonus – just for entering – you will receive a $25 e-code! (as my girlfriend would say – “it’s basically free”).
The contest will run until December 15, 2016 . Coupon codes expire on February 28, 2017.
Best of luck – with the contest and setting that alarm for tomorrow morning 😉
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Jord Wood Watches.
WEBSITE | www.islapearl.com
INSTAGRAM | @islapearllife
TWITTER | @isla_pearl
FACEBOOK | www.facebook.com/islapearlife